Frequently asked questions
Interested in applying?
Choosing where you’d like to work can be a big decision. To help you understand what it’s like working at Grant Thornton, we’ve answered some of the questions we usually get asked.
- How do I apply for a role at Grant Thornton?
- How many graduate roles are there?
- Can Grant Thornton New Zealand sponsor me?
- Can I apply for a role outside of New Zealand?
- What kind of people are we looking for?
- How will Grant Thornton help me to develop my career?
- Do I need to complete my CA if I join the graduate programme?
- Can I apply for a graduate role if my degree is not major in accounting, eg economics or finance?
- What’s Grant Thornton’s approach to diversity and inclusion?
- Where can I go for more information?
You can search our current vacancies and apply directly online.
This will depend on the current recruitment needs in each location, each year. We are currently looking for graduates in our audit, business advisory and tax service lines.
At this stage, we typically do not sponsor individuals who are here on student or work visas to complete the graduate programme. We require applicants to have New Zealand or Australian permanent residency or citizenship.
Absolutely! You can apply for open positions in more than 140 countries in which we have member firms. Your eligibility will depend on what the role requires, as well as qualification and visa restrictions in the hiring countries.
When we’re considering applications, we’re looking for people that share our values:
- We empower our people to make a difference. We want our people to think for themselves, to speak up, and to actively shape our firm’s culture and future
- We also genuinely care about our clients. As part of our work, we discover what’s important to them and enjoy helping them succeed
- We want our people to bring their whole selves to work. Individuality and authenticity is really important to our firm
- We highly value collaboration – to learn from and be inspired by others. We believe that teams will always outperform the individual
We give graduates significant training, development and leadership opportunities from day one. Thanks to our established in-house approach, our CA/CPA pass rates are consistently above average. We provide a comprehensive CA/CPA support programme including paid study leave and mentoring, and we cover the costs for external preparation workshops. You will also have the opportunity to attend a national graduate conference to get to know us better and build your core skills. This will also provide you with an opportunity to get to know your colleagues from each office in New Zealand.
The majority of our graduates choose to complete their Chartered Accountant or CPA qualifications; although in some teams such as operational advisory, this is not a requirement or another option is available.
For the majority of service lines, preference is given to those eligible for entry into the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand CA Programme upon completion of their degree. However, we understand that University is only part of the learning experience, so from time to time those with different degrees and/or majors can join the graduate programme (particularly within operational advisory).
At our firm, we encourage our people to bring their whole selves to work. We recognise, appreciate and leverage our people’s individual skills and talents. This approach helps us to create a collaborative and dynamic organisation.
It’s a given that we treat everyone fairly and never discriminate against ethnicity, race, religious belief (or lack of), sex, gender identity or intersex status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, family or carer’s responsibilities, marital status, age or disability. And beyond that, we celebrate the breadth of experiences and perspectives that people bring to Grant Thornton – especially their diversity of skills and perspectives.
We’d be delighted to hear from you and answer any questions you might have about the recruitment process and working at Grant Thornton. Please get in touch with email@example.com.