Examples of recent work undertaken
Below are examples of recent work Grant Thornton has undertaken in the following areas:
Significant litigation / arbitration assignments
- Board of Airlines v. Wellington International Airport Ltd (High Court - application for judicial review of value of airport and proposed user charges at Wellington airport) - expert.
- Commissioner of Inland Revenue v. Auckland Harbour Board (case stated on transfer values for assets transferred to Ports of Auckland Limited) - expert.
- Commissioner of Inland Revenue v. Mobil service stations (case stated re trade ties and taxation of supplier grants to retail outlets) - expert.
- Commissioner of Inland Revenue v. Hawkes Bay Electric Power Board (case stated on undergrounding power service and point of billing of income) - expert.
- Commissioner of Inland Revenue v. Milburn NZ Limited (case stated on pre-production mining expenditure) - expert.
- Kelso Trustees v. Amalgamated Dairies Limited (share valuation) - expert.
- Methanex v. Westgate (pricing dispute re wharf facilities) - expert.
Some significant investigation assignments
- ProLab/ProVision. Independent report for merger of companies in optometry support industry.
- Radio New Zealand: Confidential inquiry and report.
- Treaty of Waitangi settlement negotiations. Negotiations for iwi interests and evidence at arbitration on cost of capital.
- Unichem. Valuation of shares for reconstruction purposes.
Some significant independent reports for listed entities
- Baycorp Holdings Limited (valuation of data bases) - 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 and 1999.
- Cabletalk Group Limited (quantification of claims against former shareholder - 2002).
- Cadmus Holdings Limited (prospectus report) - 2002.
- National Property Trust merger with Newmarket Property Trust (independent appraisal report - 1999).
We undertake assignments covering an extensive and diverse range of shares and business interests. Except for matters that have gone before the Courts or reports that have been published generally, some of which are referred to earlier, the nature of our work is largely confidential and we are unable to provide public detail about these assignments.
However we are happy to discuss aspects of our experience with you directly.
Your next step
For further information on how your local Grant Thornton firm can help you, please contact: